Consider sharing your life with a kid in need. Kids need to be cared for and trained up to be successful in life. You may be able to help a child in crisis for days or weeks or months. Sometimes foster children become adoptable. Sharing your life and family with a troubled child can be risky and frustrating but long term rewards can be experienced as the relationship grows. A child from a dysfunctional family (or no family) may learn what a loving family is from your example and use your model to raise their own family when they are adults. Foster care is rewarding ministry but it can also be difficult and drive you to your knees in prayer. In John 1:12 the Bible says God adopts us as His own children. Philippians 4:13 encourages us that we can do all things through Christ.
I have experienced both sides of “foster care” as I spent three years of my childhood in the care of others and my wife and I have been foster parents. We were blessed to adopt a child through foster care and it was a delightful experience. Years ago when my wife and I were dating before we married we both said we wanted to have two children and adopt another and God faithfully answered that prayer.
We recently watched the Instant Family movie and discussed what we could do to help kids that need homes and in this stage of our lives decided the best thing we could do is to encourage other families to Foster and Adopt children. Maybe God is calling you to take in someone else’s child(ren)?
Here are some links to foster care resources if you are considering opening your home and life to the child(ren) in need.
- Family Life Audio https://www.familylife.com/podcast/topics/foster-parenting/
- Family Life Articles https://www.familylife.com/articles/topics/parenting/foundations/adoption-and-orphans/would-you-say-yes-to-becoming-an-instant-family/
- Gospel Coalition https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/how-foster-care-became-christian-priority-just-time/
- Desiring God https://www.desiringgod.org/articles/foster-care-as-the-way-of-christ
- Focus on the Family http://media.focusonthefamily.com/topicinfo/adoption.pdf
- Bethany Christian Services https://bethany.org/help-a-child/foster-care/us-foster-care
- Christian Alliance for Orphans https://cafo.org/
- How to Adopt http://www.howtoadopt.org/ and www.showhope.org.
- Adopt US Kids https://www.adoptuskids.org/ and https://www.acf.hhs.gov/cb/focus-areas/foster-care